What is Meridia?
Meridia is the brand name for the generic drug Sibutramine. In the brain, Meridia blocks the re-uptake of the brain chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine that help regulate the sense of fullness, which is the signal to stop eating. In this way, patients do not experience a suppressed appetite; however they become full faster when eating and are satisfied with less food.
What is the difference between Phentermine and Meridia?
Phentermine and Meridia are two different chemicals that affect the brain in separate ways. While Buy Phentermine acts to suppress appetite, Meridia (Sibutramine) acts to signal the feeling of satiety (fullness). Both of these drugs, when combined with a reduced-calorie diet and exercise, work to decrease the amount of calories consumed by regulating eating. Unlike Phentermine that is taken for a maximum of four weeks, Meridia has been approved for the long-term treatment and management of obesity and is typically taken for six months or longer.
What is Meridia prescribed for?
Meridia is prescribed for the long-term treatment of obesity in patients who need to lose 30 pounds or more. Meridia should be used along with a calorie-restricted diet, exercise program and behavior therapy for positive results.
What types of Meridia are available?
Meridia comes in three different strength capsules, each containing 5 mg, 10mg or 15mg of sibutramine hydrochloride monohydrate. Typically, the initial recommended dose of Meridia is 10mg capsules; however your doctor will prescribe what dose they feel is best for you.
Is there any clinical evidence that Meridia is effective for weight loss?
From the review of five long-term studies it was documented that the use of Meridia (sibutramine) resulted in a mean differential weight reduction of 4.45 kg for sibutramine vs placebo (Giornale italiano di cartiologia. 2008 Apr;9(4 Suppl 1):83S-93S. In addition to weight loss benefits, a review of the metabolic effects associated with Meridia (sibutramine) use found that there was also an associated improvement in insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes and favorable effects on blood lipids, especially on HDL cholesterol and triglycerides (Informa Pharmaceutical Science. 2005, Vol. 21, No. 3).
Meridia Diet Pill Review
- clinically proven to increase satiety and aid weight loss when combined with a reduced-calorie diet, exercise program and behavior therapy.
- clinical trials have shown that Meridia (sibutramine) can have positive results for lowering other health factors, such as insulin resistance and HDL cholesterol levels
- available in different doses to suit individual needs and preferences
- can be taken longer than other prescription weight loss medications, such as Phentermine 37.5mg
- may cause serious harmful side-effects
- is habit forming and patients can become physically and psychologically dependent on this medication, and withdrawal effects may occur if it is stopped suddenly after several weeks of continuous use
- purchase of Meridia requires a prescription from your doctor